Covid Detection Kit
Diagnostic testing for COVID-19 is critical for tracking the virus, understanding the epidemiology, informing the case management, suppressing transmission and for containing the infection.
Real-Time Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RRT-PCR) Test
The virus can be detected using Real-Time Reverse Transcriptase (RT)-PCR test (recommended by WHO), which can quickly tell if someone harbors the virus (4 to 6 hours).
Recommended Samples For RT-PCR
Nasopharyngeal or Throat or Nasal swabs, Sputum, lower respiratory tract aspirates, Bronchoalveolar lavage and Nasopharyngeal wash/aspirate or nasal aspirate.
Samples must be collected and tested from individuals who meet COVID-19.
Clinical And/Or Epidemiological Criteria, Listed Below
- Clinical signs and symptoms associated with COVID-19 infection,
- Contact with a probable or confirmed COVID-19 case,
- History of travel to geographic locations where COVID-19 cases were detected, or other epidemiological links for which COVID-19 testing may be indicated
Pros & Cons
- Gold standard for diagnosis
- High sensitivity and specificity
- Turn around Time is 3-4 hours
- Requires trained technicians
- Requires expensive equipment and infrastructure
- Complicated operation (suited to large centralized diagnostic laboratories)
- Prone to False Negatives (due to low viral loads)